Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Drum Roll Please...

I have melanoma skin cancer.
I wonder what I signed up for in the pre-existence. I bet there was a table sign up sheets for various challenges. I was probably feeling overly confident and put my name on a lot of the sheets. :-) Luckily, I like change and challenges; it builds character.

It runs in the family. It also affects fair skinned individuals who burn easily. That would be me. So, if you look in the picture of me on the side bar, you'll see the lovely thing above my eyebrow.

I went in a week and a half ago to see a dermatologist since I did not have that thing prior to being married (that was almost 3 years ago), and since then it has gotten bigger. The doctor took it off to be biopsied (and now I have a lovely pink scar there). I got a phone call today from the dermatologist who said that I have superficial melanoma. Luckily we caught it early. That is good. I'm optimistic about the whole thing. I have now been referred to a specialist and get to go in monthly to meet with my dermatologist. I'll know more once I actually see the specialist.
Good thing I only went to tanning booths a few times in my younger years. Oh well. What's next?

6 comments:

Myhouse4nine said...

I thought you had a bandaid in the pictures... Yes it does run in the family and you are so lucky it was gotten off early but you might stop sticking up you lightening rod and asking for challenges... Yes you are strong, but you don't have to do it all at once...

Abigail said...

I dread having anything biopsied. I'm sure I have some form of skin cancer, especially with the funky mole on my back. But for now we'll pretend it's not a possibility especially since we have no health insurance to begin with.

Good luck with all that Shannon!
And yes, I'm using thedailyplate, though it won't let me go to the normal version and makes me use the livestrong one. . .

Jill said...

I'm so sorry Shannon. You amaze me. I had to get an MRI recently but luckily everything came back normal. I don't know what I would have done if they would have found something. I'll pray for you and am glad you are remaining optimistic!

April said...

Boy, you must be a strong spirit with all of those fun challenges:( Way to be positive, but really is there any other way to be, you will get through this and you'll even have battle scars to show your kids what a courageous woman you are:) Love ya tons, you are in our prayers!!!

Stacy said...

Sometimes I just marvel at how lucky we are to live in this time and place. I think about the Indians (who probably didn't have a Lenscrafters or a Whole Foods) or the tribes people of China (who likely didn't have a Panda Express or a Mayo Clinic in the neighborhood or within a 6-hour flight of Shanghai). Glad you got it snipped off! I'm sure it won't be the last one. Vigilance, young Shannon!

Orange Peanut said...

Oh Shannon, I am praying for you and hoping that you are able to face this trial! Please let me know if you should need anything!