Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hey Sugar...

I have been caring a lot lately about my health. Mostly I worry about the heart disease, diabetes, and cancers that run in my family. I really want to be around to see my kids turn into nice adults. :-) I also need many more years with Matthew, even though we have eternity together. :-) I also need more time on earth to increase my understanding of the atonement, the gospel, and my Heavenly Father's love for me, etc. I have things to do people!!! I've come to the realization that sugar is bad for me. It's bad for you too but that's for you to figure out on your own. I can preach for days on the affects it has but I don't want to become one of those crazy people who share their obsession with everyone and are kind of crazy about it (you know someone like this I'm sure). Anyhow, with that being said.... I've been eating very small amounts of sugar in the last month. We're talking going from eating a ton of chocolate and junk EACH day to eating a piece or two once a week. Big change. It's been obvious in my appearance (losing 7 pounds in one month with do that to a person), and I am a lot less stressed and crazy in my head. Who knew??? I read a great article (and there's a YouTube video on it) called "Sugar is Toxic" and "Sugar: the bitter truth". Scoff all you want and think I'm crazy, just know that I'm going to live longer and be happier and healthier because of the changes I am making to my diet. Hooray!! Hopefully Matt will live longer since I sort of control what he eats at home. Remember the part about me wanting him around for a long time?!???? The hardest part I have it trying to change what my kids eat. It's so easy to hand them some carbohydrate product that is processed and loaded with crap than to convince them that they want to have a(n): (insert fruit or vegetable item here). If you have any suggestions about how to do that I would love to hear it. So that's my plug for the day. Happy day to you!!

4 comments:

Adria said...

I totally feel like a sugar addict and I've been considering giving it up too. Thanks for sharing about it and unknowingly giving me some encouragement!
My hubby has some food allergies that prevent us from having very many things in our pantry that are processed, but it's still tricky to get kids to simply eat those fruits and veggies. I try to make it fun by sticking little toothpicks in bite-sized pieces (it doesn't always work). I try to be positive about all foods, even the ones I don't like or wouldn't eat plain myself...and surprisingly my daughter loves to eat cilantro and spinach leaves raw and plain! You just never know!
P.S. This recipe (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/02/08/german-chocolate-fudge-bites/) is amazing for getting a chocolate fix and it doesn't have any added sugar (sweetened with dates and you use unsweetened cocoa powder). This recipe made me believe that I can go sugar-free!

Abigail said...

Hardest part with kids eating is other people giving them candy!! We've almost eliminated sugar from the kids diets(cause yes, it is as bad for you as alcohol) it's in their cereal and gluten free mixes for muffins and stuff. We do use honey and coconut sugar and molasses. And I have a jar of stevia but have yet to try using it. Mainly we use honey and that's in our bread (you know they add sugar to bread right? And spaghetti sauce, and, and, and) Granted now I don't know what o do with the huge bag of sugar in our food storage....
So exciting that you lost 7 lbs in a month! I need to stop cheating with store baked goods...

The only snacks my kids eat are pretty much fruit and vegetables. We have to buy produce very frequently. Mostly grapes, apples, bananas, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and bell peppers. Cherries and peaches are in season now so we've been having those also.

And now that I've said that, I'm going to pour me a pop and finish my slice of chocolate cake from Target...I'm working on that...the soda will have to stay around until October or November once I can get on medication again...

Freth Stifter said...

The sugar in bread is so that the yeast will multiply, give off gas, and expand or leaven the bread.
There's a book called "Sugar Blues". And another one called "Food, Mind, and Mood." That are both good reading.
I feel better when I avoid sugar and eat more raw foods, but then I fall back and partake again. Your partner kind of has to be in this with you, otherwise it is a major struggle.
There's an amusing book by Tiffany Dow called "Becoming a Vegetarian Against Your Will" that I'm reading right now. :-)

Unknown said...

not to put a damper on anyone's no sugar parade (because i'm a firm believer of less/no sugar etc especially if your last name is Fox!) honey, stevia, apple sauce, fruit juice or all "natural sugars" do the same thing to your blood sugar as, well sugar.. i'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners as I'm allergic to most but you need to look for the carb count in processed food.. if its got carbs its got something thats going to effect your blood sugar... and i've had trouble thinking the "natural stuff" would be different and after speaking w/ nutritionists and dr's etc. it was confirmed you might as well just spoon the white stuff if you think your doing yourself any favors with subbing honey etc. its hard to eliminate it all together but moderation is the key.. ok off my soap box..keep up the good work ladies your my hero!