Saturday, April 28, 2012
Half Marathon
This morning I completed a half marathon (that's 13.1 miles). It took me 2 hours and 29 minutes. Whoo hoo!!! My goal time was 2 hours 30 minutes so I'm pretty happy with that. However, I was NOT prepared for this run. I've been training for a while and the most mileage I have did in one stretch was 6 miles... that's good, but not great for training. Since I ran a marathon before (7 years ago) I figured that 13 miles was way easier and therefore do-able. My excuses go on and on.... my kids were sick this past week and I couldn't get to the gym (nevermind that I have a treadmill in my living room).
Well, this morning I got up and ate my oatmeal and yogurt and headed on down to the starting line. While I waited around I realized that I totally didn't have any energy goos (little pouch of sugar and electrolytes) although I did have electrolyte capsules x 3. Other than that I didn't have fuel. I did have two bottles of water but was kicking myself because I have a camelback thing that I could have taken.
I was looking all cute in my little running skirt that proved to be two large as I had to pull it up continually for the first 2 miles. Then I produced enough sweat to keep it stuck to me with the waistband folded over! Hooray for losing weight! Alas, I chafed my inner thighs since they were rubbing together (not enough weight loss).
I don't mean for this to sound negative... it's simply my rundown of how the event went. Since I am running another half marathon in June with my sister I hope to learn from this one (Abby, take note!)
I did fine running the first 4 miles with a 9:30/mile pace. Then I slowed down. I ran all the way to mile 6! Whoo hoo! I ran/walked to mile 8 and then my hip gave out. It does some rubbing thing that hurts like heck and gets really painful and sort of pops. From there I had to slow down considerably to finish. I do love races since there are so many people running (it's rather encouraging) and cheering the runners on. It's good energy.
Around mile 10 I felt blisters forming. I credit that to that lack of time I spent on my feet prior to this run. My feet just weren't prepared for the distance and time I stood standing on them. Along the way at mile 10 someone dropped a Clif energy gel (goo)! Hooray! It was unopened and I happily consumed it and was quite grateful. :-)
My amazing physical therapist brother just called me back and explained why my butt/hip hurts every time. Apparently that muscle isn't supposed to be doing the job of supporting my weight in the run, but since I don't have a strong core that muscle had to kick in and take over. The remedy: I need to do leg raises (while lying on the ground on my side) and strengthen my core (which I haven't even worked on since I had Hannah a year ago). So I have 6 weeks to improve that to hopefully prevent my hip injury again in June. :-)
That same brother (Isaac) is in Virginia right now. He's running a race tomorrow... Go Isaac!!!!!!!
Summary for June half Marathon (Abby!!!!!):
1. Strengthen my core
2. Do leg raises
3. Buy energy gels or Clif bloks (not a typo)
4. Wear pants that fit (not loose at all)
5. Run at least 8-10 miles in training before then
6. Run 3-4 times a week to properly prepare
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
mMMMMMMMMMMMmmm Clif bloks are so yummy.
Okay, will work on my core and do leg raises.
Add a 7th thing to your list....be happy if you make it in 4 hours due to your sister. :)
That being said I run half of the way after we get Maddie to school and on the way to get Maddie from school. But of course that's only just under .9 miles....
And good job! I'm sorry you got blisters, no fun.
And Hurray for Isaac telling you (us) what to do to keep your hip from hurting. Mine does that too....
Excellant analysis..and thanks for letting me know where you brother is !...moms are often the last to know anything !!!
Woohoo!!! You are truly amazing!!!!!
My brother and sister-in-law (Matt & Catherine) run barefoot. Its supposed to be really good for you and they swear by it.
I don't run at all except very slowly on my treadmill.
Congratulations!
WOOT!!! I need to sign up for one...hopefully sometime in the fall when my babe isn't nursing exclusively.... Good job!!
Post a Comment