And here I thought I was having my first "normal" pregnancy...
Just took the first glucose test. I am supposed to have results under 139 (something). Well, mine was 158, so now I have to endure a 3 hour glucose test and have blood drawn every hour to see if I really am diabetic. This really stresses me out a little bit. Why?? Because usually gestational diabetes turns into Type II diabetes AND... I think that diabetes is the worst disease to have. Giving yourself shots. Limiting your sugar. Ending up with your body not functioning right.
I have always feared this. So, I am going to try to exercise more and eat less sugar so that my next test doesn't end up positive for gestational diabetes.
For those of you out there who have had it, do you have any suggestions or comments on the subject?? Thank you!!
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
So, Eddie's been dealing with the "borderline" Type II for a little over a month now. If Eddie can deal with it, so can you. His Dr. told him...No sugar, Cut your carbs in half and walk every day! That was it. Eddie did really well at first. His blood sugar went from over 500 to 128 was his lowest. Today it was at 156 because he's been sneaking BBQ sauce!!! He's converted to Splenda and products with splenda in them. Only drinks diet soda and crystal light. I've found Bryers makes an ice cream called Carb Smart that is better for him than regular ice cream and Slim a Bear fudgecicles! They're delcious only 100 calories and made with Splenda!!!! I EAT THEM TOO they are so good!!!! His carbs aka anything made with any kind of flour is what he's supposed to cut in half and I'm convinced that if you have to eat a flour based carb make sure it's a whole grain!!!! I have a friend who has full blown diabetes. Whenever she feels her sugar is too high she gets out her stair step and does her own version of stepping to bring the sugar down!!!
Good luck! You're in our prayers!
I've had it with both my kids. REally weird cause there is no history of it in my family, but anyway, my blood sugar goes way off when i have had to take those dumb glucose test. IT SUCKS!!!!
I had to take that test too. After the first hour it really wasn't so bad. I tested super high the first time and normal the second time. Maybe you just had a high sugar day? I could tell when I did... I felt faint and sick. I'd go off sugar for a few days and feel good again. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.
Sorry to hear your news but glad that you are taking it so seriously. Many people don't and You are doing the right thing to prevent having it later in life by controlling it now. By the way not ALL people who have gestational diabetes develop it later, they are just at a higher risk.
I can't find my paperwork this instant but right before we left Utah I did the test and I'm pretty sure my medical history said the test result was high. The new dr. didn't really pay any attention to the information the old one provided though, so nothing was said to me about it. Hopefully the long test will tell you the first was off!
I was diagnosed with type II a month before I found out I was pregnant. It's been 4 years and I have only had 1 insulin shot. That was in the hospital after I had Mila. Medication, Diet, and exercise have been the key. You can probably just work on the diet and exercise and you won't have a problem.
Michelle P.
I hope the test goes well! No fun drinking that yucky stuff! I don't have any advice as I've never had gestational diabetes!
Thanks for the package! I have been borderline on the short tests many times, but the long one I usually do fine for. It really stinks to have to avoid sugar, but it is a part of life.. Try to do a few of the things you know will help and maybe you will be okay at the next testing.. As some one else said if you can avoid sugar for the week before you might be okay... I found when I had my first daughter I had to give up sugar or I had a yeast infection and burning constantly. So It was worth it to avoid it when you know it is obviously physically hurting. Good luck miss! Maybe this is a "normal" pregnancy????
Shannon,
What ended up happening? I had it with all 5 kiddos----but only treated the last 3---including glucometer, shots, insulin in the fridge and in a cooler---the whole sha--bang. Nonetheless, had an emergency delivery while untreated with #2 (Dallin)---as the sugar was "shutting the placenta" down. So---shots over baby emergecies anyday!
Post a Comment